Friday, February 18, 2011

"A Shawl for Anita" by:Lolita Andrada

"A Shawl for Anita" My mother brought us up single-handedly. It was a Herculean task for a woman so frail, dealing with three adolescent children. But she managed. She never finished high school, but her deft hands had skillfully eked out a living for the four of us. She was good at knitting. That tided us over until the eldest got a diploma of teaching. Then she put up a sari-sari store to send the other children to college. Mother wanted us all to start a college degree and she had sacrificed much to see us through.
Mother had a soft heart - especially for Anita. Anita was the youngest, and I, being the middle child, had always envied her. She was sickly and Mother willingly indulged her. My sister's whimpers never irked her. She was ever so gentle with her when I impatient and jealous. I never understood my mother.
My mother who had always been a frail woman was much thinner now. Anita who was married by now had never stopped being pampered. Her lack of concern for our mother's failing health was getting on my nerves. I felt like shouting at her, calling her names when I heard her ask Mother to knit a shawl for her. Mother could hardly refuse, but I knew that the task was just too much for her. Her fingers had lost their flexibility; rheumatic pain told on her knuckles that felt a million pins pricking. My heart went out to her every time I saw her painfully the knitting needles into the yarn.
The rest of us did not want to see Mother lift a finger. She was too old to work, and we wanted to save her the burden of doing even the lightest household chores. Mother said she felt useless being cooped up in the house all day, doing nothing. That was before Anita sweet talked her into knitting her shawl. I was beginning to hate Anita for being so callous.
Knitting the shawl might have been an agony for Mother, but she never showed any pain. At the end of the day, she would look at her handiwork, a smile on her lips as she held it against her. Knitting proved to be a slow process, but Mother didn't mind, I did and when Anita showed up one day to visit Mother I scolded her for being so thoughtless. Anita touched my arm and in a gentle voice said, "I did it for Mother. That shawl is giving her reason to live. She was wasting away, didn't you notice? She felt so useless because she had nothing to do, no matter how small. Mother is one person who prefers to live her life working. If she stops working, she will stop living." I nodded my head. Perhaps Anita was right I was beginning to understand my mother

72 comments:

  1. hi! i'm romeo, an editor and a part-time writer. would you want to post my short story? email me at artsuncion@yahoo.com

    Hope to hear from you.

    tnx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess related to a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys can someone explains to me what is means with the character development and what is the theme of the story... Thank u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. A shawl for anita what kind of character is narrator?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How change come about on the life of tge character?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is the plot of the story?>




    ReplyDelete
  8. How did the events contribute to the development of the narrator?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the feature of this story ang type of text?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What action did the mother does?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is characteristics of Lolita in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Lolita is only the writer but Middle child is the narrator

      Delete
  12. WHAt is setting of shawl of anita . .Its house only

    ReplyDelete
  13. can you say what is the series ang event or plot of the story

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is the moral lesson of the story

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of character is the narrator?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What are the event happen in a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  17. What are the event happen in a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  18. What are the event happen in a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  19. what is the climax of the story??

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is the passion in the story

    ReplyDelete
  21. What is the narrative explanation of a shawl for Anita?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What is the narrative explanation of the story a shawl for anita

    ReplyDelete
  23. what is the point of view of the author?
    what is the theme?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What is the sequence of events in this story?

    ReplyDelete
  25. What is the sequence of events in this story?

    ReplyDelete
  26. What kind of text is "a shawl for anita"?

    ReplyDelete
  27. where is the setting of the story?
    who are the characters
    plot?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excuse me this is the reaction paper of shawl for Anita?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can i ask some question? What type of text or writing styles is this?

    ReplyDelete
  30. guys can you explain why this story are narrative?

    ReplyDelete
  31. could you gave me the biography of the author as soon as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  32. could you gave me the biography of the author as soon as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  33. could you gave me the biography of the author as soon as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. guys i need it now, anybody ? tomorrow is our presentation and im so sorry because i forgot the biography of the author. plese :(

    ReplyDelete
  36. Many Thanks for the shared this informative and interesting post with me.
    I’m much pleased with your good work. you have good knowledge for article writing and this article is amazing. I am waiting for your next article…. Thank you so much
    Mass HackSurviv.io Cheats 2020
    SLITHERX SIDEBAR MODS
    ZombsRoyale.io Hacks 2020

    ReplyDelete
  37. I’m much pleased with your good work. you have good knowledge for article writing and this article is amazing. I am waiting for your next article…. Thank you so much

    Free Games Online For Girls

    Kids Free Games Online

    Online Free Games

    Free Games For

    Top Free Games

    Free Games Online

    Best Free Games Online

    All Free Games Online

    Free Games For Kids Online

    Best Free Games 2020

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi guys, If you wanna have many information of Food. We can help you. We have a web write for Food. In this have many information of Food can have you. You can find ways to cook of course, review the good course, suggestions for you what the good course and many informations in this web. Many people use us web and very satisfied of us web. And I make sure that us web can have you for many things, give many informations. If you want to have a example of the web, I'll give you. Example,you want to know what the speciality in VietNam, you mustn't find many in internet. You just go us web. You can find many VietNam speciality. It's not all. Web'll give you some ways to cook, many review post and good place you can eat if you want. But this example is not all. Us web have many many and many interesting informations of Food. For good food, horror food, bad food... all food have in us web. If you don't believe what i said ok, you can go us web, i'll give the name or link. Let's come and check it out.
    Link of my food:

    ReplyDelete
  39. whose experiences was she talking about?
    What point of view was used?
    did narrator learn something fron her experiences

    ReplyDelete